Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the Cascades, on the bank of the Columbia River, Vancouver USA is as naturally beautiful as it is diverse. No other city in the Pacific Northwest offers such a combination of history, scenic views, natural attractions, urban charm, and welcoming hospitality.
Like most locations in western Washington, Vancouver offers a year-round mild climate. Summer temperatures usually average in the 70s to high 80s. Fall is seasonably warm and produces visually stunning foliage. In winter, the temperatures rarely dip below freezing.
January – High 44.7 F, Low 32.5 F
July – High 78.9 F, Low 53.7 F
January Rainfall – 5.77 inches
July Rainfall – 0.61 inches
US National Climatic Data Center & Western Regional Climate Center
PROJECTS FILMED IN VANCOUVER USA
Vancouver is an ideal destination for feature films, commercials, television series and specials. With a variety of terrains including waterfront, natural, historic, industrial, and urban settings, many independent and commercial films have been filmed there includingTwilight (2008), Extraordinary Measures (2010), and The Ring (2004), as well as Award winning Indie films Dancing on the Edge and Bucksville. With affordable destination and talented regional location managers, producers, and support crew, Vancouver is a great resource for regular TV series including Leverage, Grimm, and Portlandia.
KEY LOCATIONS OF INTEREST
- With historic neighborhoods, a reconstructed fort, national park, a chronicled airfield, boutique wineries, scenic drives, farms, railroads, charming small towns, accessible buildings and the majestic mountain backdrop of Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood, Vancouver is an obvious choice for stories that dip into the past, but also offers a thriving urban core and waterfront. Vancouver has a bustling downtown, neighborhoods of various styles, and industrial districts. Downtown is also home to Esther Short Park, which has a large plaza, concert pavilion, multi-tiered play fountain, and iconic clock tower.
DISTANCE TO CLOSEST AIRPORT
- Portland International Airport is just 15 minutes from downtown Vancouver.
CLOSEST LARGE CITIES ADJACENT
- Portland, Oregon is the nearest metropolitan city located just across the Columbia River to the south. Vancouver is easy to access from other West Coast locations being directly located on I-5 and on an Amtrak rail line as well. Vancouver is also a direct flight from Los Angeles, New York, Vancouver BC, and Tokyo.
RELEVANT CONTACTS AND INFORMATION
- Local Film Liaison – Rosemary Cooke, Vancouver USA Regional Tourism Office, (360) 450-1553,rcooke@VisitVancouverUSA.com
- Agency that issues permits and costs – City of Vancouver, City Manager’s Office, Stacey Donovan, (360) 487-8630. Special event permits are $60, facilities or park rental not included.
- Police, Sheriff’s Department, or agency that handles traffic control – Street and parking closures would be arranged with the City of Vancouver (360) 487-8630. Traffic and crowd controlwould be arranged through the Vancouver Police Department, Tom Ryan (360) 487-7414.
Vancouver offers more than 35 lodging properties with over 2,600 guest rooms at reasonable rates with very low or free parking. Please see the Visit Vancouver USA website at www.VisitVancovuerUSA.com for an up-to-date list of lodgings with amenity comparisons and pricing.
To view additional photos of the City of Vancouver, please see our Reel Scout Location Database.
In an effort to expand our Reel Scout Location Database, we are doing a call for “Office Buildings.” If you have an office building, and are open to filming, you can list your property in our location database by sending photos to Info@WashingtonFilmworks.org. Please include address and contact information and attach photos as a JPEG no larger than 1MB per photo.