If you can believe it, the Academy Awards® are turning 87 this year. To give you some context – its first year, 1929, saw the Best Picture victory of Wings, the start of the Great Depression, and the first appearances of Buck Rogers and Tarzan of the Apes in comic books.
Such a glitzy and glamorous event deserves more than watching the Academy Awards® with chips, salsa, Arizona Ice Tea, and sweatpants. How can you shake things up and get into the mood of the red carpet affair?
Aside from filling out his ballot and checking out some trivia, you can luckily choose from the many telecast-viewing galas and parties that Washington State has to offer! Washington unfortunately is not represented this year among the nominees, but with exciting projects on the docket for this and next year, it’s definitely possible we’ll be walking the red carpet soon.
Here are just a few of the events that unite film-lovers everywhere to enjoy a fun and friendly evening of taking in the ceremony:
- Bake’s Place – Bellevue
- The Film School’s Oscar Night Celebration – Seattle
- Gay City and Three Dollar Bill Cinema’s 10th Annual Academy Awards Party – Seattle
- Gig Harbor Hub’s Oscar Party & Dinner – Gig Harbor
- Grand Cinema’s Academy Awards Party – Tacoma
- Olympia Film Society’s Oscar Party – Olympia
- Pickford Film Center’s Red Carpet Affair – Bellingham
- Spokane AIDS Network (SPAN)’s Red Ribbon Gala – Spokane
- Vashon Theatre’s Oscar Gala – Vashon Island