Washington Filmworks uses our Location of the Month newsletters to showcase the diversity of unique looks and resources for production in a number of jurisdictions around Washington State. Find previous installments archived on our website and on the WF Blog.
Lake Chelan Valley – December 2014
Only in the Lake Chelan Valley will you find four seasons of wine, sun, stunning natural beauty, and adventures that you can tune to your own tastes.
50.5 miles of lake, surrounded by vineyards, mountains and small-town charm, promise an array of activities as unique as the people who go there to play or make Lake Chelan Valley their home.
The Lake Chelan Valley is home to the communities of Chelan, Manson and Stehekin and offers four seasons of recreation, charming shopping districts, and bountiful agriculture including an emerging wine industry.
Lake Chelan Valley Weather
The Lake Chelan Valley’s arid climate and lack of rainfall make it a popular year-round destination among outdoor enthusiasts. It experiences over 300 days of sunshine annually and has four distinct seasons. Despite the area’s desert climate, agriculture abounds thanks to irrigation from the lake as well as the Columbia River.
January – High 32.8 F, Low 22.8 F
July – High 85.1 F, Low 60.6 F
January Rainfall – 1.49 inches
July Rainfall – 0.36 inches
January Snowfall – 9.6 inches
Source: Western Regional Climate Center
Projects Filmed in Lake Chelan Valley
- Lassie Come Home
- Lost Horizon
- The Parallax View
Key Locations of Interest
- 100-year-old Ruby Theatre
- Chelan Butte
- Echo Ridge (hiking and Nordic skiing trails)
- Green’s Landing (lakeside wedding and event outdoor venue)
- Historic Campbell’s Resort
- Historic Downtown Shopping District
- Lake Chelan
- Lady of the Lake (boat up to Stehekin)
- Manson Bay and Marina
- Old Apple Picking Sheds (one converted to Lake Chelan Winery)
- Remote Community of Stehekin, including Historic Buckner Orchard
- Views of Stormy Mountain
- Vineyard Views
- Whaley’s Mansion (bed and breakfast)
- Wineries and Tasting Rooms
Distance to Closest Large Washington Airport
- Pangborn Memorial Airport is approximately 45 miles from Lake Chelan Valley.
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is approximately 185 miles from Lake Chelan Valley.
- Spokane International Airport is approximately 145 miles from Lake Chelan Valley.
Distance to Closest Large Cities in Washington
- Seattle is 180 miles from Lake Chelan Valley.
- Spokane is 150 miles from Lake Chelan Valley.
- Wenatchee is 40 miles from Lake Chelan Valley.
Relevant Contact Name and Information
- Local Film Liaison – Lacey Lybecker, Marketing Manager, Chelan Lake County Chamber of Commerce, (509) 682-3503, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agency that issues permits and costs – Within the Chelan city limits, contact the City of Chelan, City Clerk Peri Gallucci, (509) 682-4037 ext. 202, email@example.com
- Police or Sheriff’s Department or agency that handles traffic control – Contact the Chelan County Sheriff’s Department: http://www.co.chelan.wa.us/so/contact.htm
A list of accommodations can be found at http://www.lakechelan.com/where-to-stay/