Washington Filmworks uses our Location of the Month newsletters to showcase the diversity of unique looks and resources for production in a number of jurisdictions around Washington State. Find previous installments archived on our website and on the WF Blog.
Mount Vernon – March 2015
Surrounded by the Cascade Mountains and dotted with farmlands, Mount Vernon has been shielded from the forces of modernity. Whether you’re exploring local farms or strolling along First Street, walking around Mount Vernon feels like stepping back in time. No chain stores here – just mom-and-pop shops located in historic buildings. Built in 1926 and in continuous operation ever since, the Lincoln Theatre is a grand, 500-seat theatre with gorgeous hand-stenciled murals on the walls and an original Wurlitzer organ in front of the stage – one of only two remaining in the United States.
Don’t miss the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. It is one of the destination events for the Pacific Northwest, held from April 1 – 30. Every spring, hundreds of thousands of people come to enjoy the celebration of the season as millions of tulips burst into bloom.
Mount Vernon Weather
Mount Vernon has a Mediterranean climate with dry warm summers and mild winters.
January – High 45.5 F, Low 33.6 F
July – High 73.2 F, Low 50.6 F
January Rainfall – 4.02 inches
July Rainfall – 1.16 inches
January Snowfall – 1.5 inches
Source: Western Regional Climate Center
Key Locations of Interest
Key Locations of Interest
- Historic barns around the city
- Historic Main Street
- 500 acres of tulips in the Spring
- River rafting
- Historic theatre from the 1920’s
- Local farm landscape
Distance to Closest Large Washington Airport
- Bellingham International Airport is approximately 34 miles from Mount Vernon.
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is approximately 76 miles from Mount Vernon.
Distance to Closest Large Cities in Washington
- Bellingham is approximately 28 miles from Mount Vernon.
- Seattle is approximately 62 miles from Mount Vernon.
Relevant Contact Name and Information
- Local Film Liaison: Estephanie Carrillo, Tourism Coordinator, Mount Vernon Chamber of Commerce, email@example.com, (360) 428-8547
- Agency that issues permits and costs: City of Mount Vernon, http://www.mountvernonwa.gov/.
- Police or Sheriff’s Department or agency that handles traffic control: City of Mount Vernon Police Department, (360) 336-6271
A full list of current accommodations can be found at http://visit.mountvernonchamber.com/list/mc/Stay-1-328-192.