The 86th Academy Awards take place this Sunday, March 2. Do you have your outfit ready? Have you brushed up on your behind the scenes trivia? Have you filled out your official Oscar ballot? If not, be sure to show some solidarity and check the box for Washington-based screenwriter Bob Nelson. The Whidbey Island resident is a nominee in the Best Original Screenplay category for Nebraska. Congratulations, Bob!
Arguably the world’s most anticipated awards show, the annual Academy Awards can be a complicated affair. Who takes home the golden statue might be equal parts talent and craft, marketing and politics. Predicting the winners is such a science that Vegas odds makers do a tremendous amount of research to “quantify the market” and several trade magazines dedicate entire issues to Oscar odds.
Whatever the probabilities, opportunities abound across Washington to enjoy the ceremony, support good causes, and celebrate the glamour of show business. Here are just a few events rolling out the red carpet across the state, but be on the lookout for any number of fantastic parties in your corner of Washington.
- The Oscars 2014 – Bellevue
- Seattle Children’s Oscar Party – Bellevue
- Pickford Film Center Annual Awards Social – Bellingham
- Orcas Center First Annual Oscar Party – Eastsound
- An Evening With Oscar – Gig Harbor
- Oscar Party 2014 Olympia Film Society – Olympia
- TheFilmSchool Oscar Night Celebration – Seattle
- Gay City Health & Three Dollar Bill Cinema – Seattle
- 2014 SAN (Spokane AIDS Network) Oscar Gala – Spokane
- Magic Lantern Theatre (Screening many Academy Award nominated features and shorts) – Spokane
- The Grand Cinema – Tacoma
- Vancouver Goes Hollywood – Vancouver, WA
- Oscar Night at the Vashon Theatre – Vashon Island