Located at the southernmost tip of the Olympic Peninsula, Ocean Shores is six miles long and two miles wide. Within this area lies 23 miles of interconnecting canals and lakes for beauty, boating, and fresh water fishing. The beaches are considered part of the highway system and driving on the beach is permitted. Ocean Shores snuggles up to the majestic Pacific, contains a rainforest, and is home to magnificent storms and breathtakingly beautiful sunsets.
Photo courtesy of Jody Cadle.
OCEAN SHORES WEATHER
Ocean Shores features a marine climate with cool and comparatively dry summers, and mild but relatively wet winters. As is typical in a marine environment, brisk ocean breezes are common. The best weather months are September and October, crisp but clear. Last year it had less than an inch of rain in each of August, September and October. Mid-year temperatures (daytime) average between 62 to 65 degrees. Seldom do temperatures dip to freezing or rise above 75 degrees.
January – High 46.7 F, Low 37.4 F
July – High 67.0 F, Low 53.1 F
January Rainfall – 9.79 inches
July Rainfall – 1.3 inches
PROJECTS FILMED IN OCEAN SHORES
Photo courtesy of Carol Schultz.
- – Safety Not Guaranteed, 2012
- – Northwest Backroads, 2011
- – McQ, 1973
KEY LOCATIONS OF INTEREST
Photo courtesy of Stuart May.
- Fusions Gallery – Known for integrating the best emerging to mid-career artists by featuring over 50 selected artists each quarter in a major International Group Show in a “Chelsea” style gallery.
- Ocean Shores Beach – Encompasses six miles of sandy beaches with incredible sunrises and sunsets.
- Quinault Beach Resort & Casino – Offers table games to the many electronic slot machines with a Vegas casino floor.
- Sharkey’s – Tourist photo-op spot in the shape of a giant shark mouth, doubling as the entrance to a gift shop.
- The Judith Ann Inn – A “Victorian” style inn with a modern twist.
Photo courtesy of Ocean Shores Chamber of Commerce.
RELEVANT CONTACT INFORMATION
Photo courtesy of Gary Iversen.
- Local Film Liaison – Patricia Wright, Executive Director, Chamber of Commerce, (360) 289-2451, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agency that issues permits and costs – City of Ocean Shores Permit Center, (360) 289-2754
- Police or Sheriff’s Department or agency that handles traffic control – Ocean Shores Police Department, (360) 289-3331
DISTANCE TO CLOSEST LARGE AIRPORT
The Ocean Shores Municipal Airport can land single engine aircraft on its 3100′ long 55′ wide asphalt runway. The closest large airport is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 126 miles away.
CLOSEST LARGE CITIES ADJACENT
Ocean Shores is the largest city on the North Beach with approximately 5,500 full time residents. The closest, and largest city in Grays Harbor County is Aberdeen, WA, 25 miles east. Olympia, WA is 75 miles east.
There are approximately 1100 rooms available in Ocean Shores. As a destination town, its hotels are busiest during the tourist months of June, July, August and September and more available during the off-season. Links to area hotels are available via chamber website.
In an effort to expand our Reel Scout Location Database, we are doing a call for a “Doctor’s Office.” If you have a doctor’s office, and are open to filming, you can list your property in our location database by sending photos to Info@WashingtonFilmworks.org. Please include address and contact information and attach photos as a JPEG no larger than 1MB per photo.