Can’t find the information you need on our site?  We’re here to help!

Give us a call (206) 264-0667 or email us at

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW)

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is the state’s principle steward of fish and wildlife resources. State law directs WDFW to conserve native fish and wildlife, protect and enhance the environment, and provide recreational and commercial fishing, hunting, wildlife viewing, and other sustainable opportunities for Washington residents and visitors.

The department regulates the importation and possession of some wild animals, wild birds and game fish species, and deleterious exotic wildlife. A person must obtain a Department of Health certificate, required by the Department of Agriculture, before bringing animals into the state under WAC 16-54-180. For information on possessing or importing specific animals, please contact Joanna Eide at WDFW or call 360-902-2403.

The State Veterinarian's Office

The State Veterinarian’s Office, part of the Washington State Department of Agriculture, enforces regulations covering animals entering the state. All animals entering Washington State must meet entry requirements that can vary among species. Please visit the State Veterinarians office for specific requirements or call 360-902-1878 for information.

American Humane Association

American Humane Association works in association with the American film and TV industry to ensure the well-being of animal actors and promote the human-animal bond.

Washington Filmworks would like to thank Women in Film Seattle for providing us with this information. You can find more detailed information on the Women in Film Seattle website here.

Washington State Legislature Definition of Sexual Harassment: WAC 392-190-056


WCSAP – Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Program

National Sexual Assault Hotline
Phone: 1 800-656-HOPE (4673)

King County Sexual Assault Resource Center

Washington SAFE Alliance

Gender Justice League

These contacts can assist in finding current crop information, location, and specific farmers who may allow filming.

Department of Agriculture
P.O. Box 42560, Olympia, WA 98504-2560
Phone: (360) 902-1800
Fax: (360) 902-2092

Hector Castro
Communications Director
Phone:(360) 902-1815

Washington State Farm Bureau
(360) 357-9975

Washington State Commissions:

Apple Commission
(509) 663-9600

Asparagus Commission
(509) 266-4303

Beef Commission
(206) 444-2902

Beer Commission
(206) 795-5072

Blueberry Commission
(509) 266-4300

Bulb Commission
(360) 424-7327

Cranberry Commission
(360) 580-9698

Dairy Products Commission
(425) 672-0687

Dry Pea & Lentil Commission
(208) 882-3023

Fruit Commission
(509) 453-4837

Grain Commission

Hop Commission
(509) 453-4749

Mint Commission
(509) 585-5460

Potato Commission
(509) 765-8845

Puget Sound Salmon Commission
(206) 595-8734

Red Raspberry Commission
(360) 354-8767

Strawberry Commission
(360) 352-1236

Tree Fruit Research Commission
(509) 665-8271

Turf Grass Seed Commission
(509) 783-4676

Wheat Commission
(509) 456-2481

Wine Commission
(206) 667-9463

Additional Resources:

NW Agriculture Business Center
(360) 336-3727

NW Cider Association

Once you find that ultimate location in the perfect town it’s time to secure permission to film there. But with nearly five hundred municipalities in Washington, where does a production start? Washington Filmworks can help connect you with the proper authorities in most areas, but if you’re reaching out on your own, begin with a little research.

Permits are based on individual jurisdiction and are usually required if a production plans to film on public property. Some municipalities may not have specific procedures in place for film permitting. They may alternatively issue a special use permit or special event permit.

Larger cities that are more frequented by production have streamlined permitting procedures. If an area has a “Film Office” the municipality or the Chamber of Commerce generally manages it. If there is no “Film Office” or specific point of contact for filming, try contacting City Hall. The City Clerk is often a great starting place. Perhaps the town is a little more quaint; if that’s the case, reach out to an elected official, such as the mayor, or contact the area sheriff’s office to begin your inquiry.

County permits are usually required for filming on county roads, county buildings or in unincorporated areas.

If you need specific information for an area, please contact Washington Filmworks, 206-264-0667

Industrial Insurance (Worker’s Compensation)

Department of Labor & Industries
Insurance Services

Employer Services
Phone: (360) 902-4817

Any employer who employs a “worker” in Washington State must register with the Department of Labor and Industries for industrial insurance (worker’s compensation). Worker’s compensation coverage must be purchased through the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I).

Premiums paid by employers and workers pay for medical care for job-related injuries and illnesses, as well as wage replacement when the injury or illness is serious enough to miss work. The system, in place since 1911, provides prompt payment to injured workers and protects employers from litigation.

Washington’s industrial insurance law RCW 51.08.180 states:

“Worker” means every person in this state who is engaged in the employment of an employer under this title, whether by way of manual labor or otherwise in the course of his or her employment; also every person in this state who is engaged in the employment of or who is working under an independent contract, the essence of which is his or her personal labor for an employer under this title, whether by way of manual labor or otherwise, in the course of his or her employment.

The production company will have to pay a composite rate based on the categories and codes listed below for worker compensation.

The employer may deduct the amount based on categories and codes from the employee’s check for pension and medical for which the employee is responsible.

Composite rates for Motion Picture Production (6608) and Radio, Television, All Other Employees (4502) can be found in the chart provided by the Department of Labor: Complete List here

This rate is adjusted every January. Call the Department of Labor and Industries, Employer Services after January 1, to verify composite rate and employee deduction for the current year.

Definitions for Industrial Insurance

The Department of Ecology is responsible for protecting, preserving, and enhancing Washington’s environment. Permits ensure that individuals understand and comply with all applicable federal and state environmental standards to protect our air, land, and water.

Department of Ecology
300 Desmond Drive SE
Lacey, WA 98503
(360) 407-6000

For a summary of permits including information on activities requiring a permit, fees, applications, where to submit application, how long permit decisions will take, applicable rules, agency contacts and guidelines visit , Ecology Services Permitting Help

If you are unsure about the type of environmental permit you will need, you can contact Governor’s Office of Regulatory Assistance (ORA). The ORA can help you find the information you need to navigate environmental permits. They have an online Project Questionnaire that can help you determine which permit or approvals your project might need. Experienced staff is on hand to:

Guide you through the environmental permitting process.

Save you time by clarifying requirements up front.

Provide one-on-one consultation and research project-specific requirements.

Governor’s Office of Regulatory Assistance (ORA)
Phone: (800) 917-0043 or (360) 725-0628

Department of Natural Resources Headquarters
PO Box 47000
Olympia, Washington 98504-7001

Craig Partridge, Policy Director
Phone: (360) 902-1028
Fax: (360) 902-1775

Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) manages more than five million acres of state-owned aquatic and uplands on properties to provide benefits for specific trust beneficiaries and the general public, including:

  • 2.1 million acres of aquatic lands, including Washington's navigable lakes and rivers, the waters of Puget Sound, and ocean bays
  • 2.1 million acres of forest lands throughout the state
  • 1.2 million acres of dryland agriculture, orchards, vineyards, and irrigated agricultural and grazing lands (including 300,000 acres of grazeable forest lands)
  • Urban and commercial properties and transition lands
  • Natural resources conservation areas and natural area preserves
  • Diverse DNR-managed lands include:

  • High-altitude meadows
  • Waterfalls
  • San Juan Island sites
  • Old growth forests, working forests, and rainforests
  • Scenic viewpoints above Seattle and Bellevue
  • Open range lands in pine forests of south and eastern Washington
  • Harbors, marinas, and waterfronts
  • Spectacular views in the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges
  • Orchards, vineyards, wheatlands, and wetlands
  • Rustic recreation sites
  • Interpretive areas
  • Americans with Disabilities-approved access areas
  • Important to Remember

    DNR-managed natural resource lands are not parks. Roads on state lands are often unpaved and regularly traveled by logging trucks and other heavy equipment.


    After the initial contact with the agency liaison, the film company works with regional offices for permits and fees for specific locations. Each filming project is reviewed individually for risk, liability, and environmental concerns, as well as compatibility with legal mandates and department policies.

    Typically, costs to permit are $3,000 and above. DNR costs are high as they are dealing with trust lands, not public lands, so it is imperative that they cover their costs and do not deplete DNR trust income.

    Regional Offices

    Northwest Region, Sedro Woolley
    (360) 856-3500

    Northeast Region, Colville
    (509) 684-7474

    Olympic Region, Forks
    (360) 374-6131

    South Puget Sound Region, Enumclaw
    (360) 825-1631

    Southeast Region, Ellensburg
    (509) 925-8510

    Pacific Cascade, Castle Rock
    (360) 577-2025

    Taxpayer Services Division
    Washington State Department of Revenue
    PO Box 47478
    Olympia, Washington 98504-7454

    Toll Free Tax Information and Filing Requirements:
    (800) 647-7706
    General Information: (360) 705-6717
    New Businesses
    Select “Doing Business” for registration and filing information.
    Select “Contact Us” for our mailing addresses, phone numbers, and tax questions via the Internet.

    *When registering to do business in the State of Washington you may be subject to Business and Occupation Tax. Consult the Department of Revenue or your payroll services company for details.

    Visit Access Washington for state and local registration, filing, permits, etc.

    Taxpayer Services (for written questions)
    PO Box 47478
    Olympia, WA 98504

    Taxpayer Information and Education Section Hotline
    Phone: (360) 705-6705 or (360) 705-6717
    (800) 647-7706

    Alternate Languages Format
    Phone: (360) 705-6705 or (360) 705-6717

    Telecommunications Device For The Deaf Line
    Phone: (800) 451-7985

    Sales Tax Exemption
    For questions, call the Taxpayer Hotline at (800) 647-7706.

    Hotel/Motel Tax Exemption
    For questions, call the Taxpayer Hotline at (800) 647-7706.

    State Roads and Highways

    There are two agencies involved when shooting on state roads and highways: the Department of Transportation and the Washington State Patrol. The Department of Transportation authorizes the film permits while the State Patrol controls traffic and ensures safety on the set. Allow at least thirty days to process permit, please view Planning Special Events on State Highways

    We recommend you have the following information ready before you contact your regional representative:

    Official Project Name

    Production Company Name

    Production Company Representative (person authorized to sign the permit)

    Email Address (for permit to be sent for processing, signatures, and return)

    Phone Number

    What is the type of project?

    What is the exact proposed route?

    What is the proposed activity and type of traffic control you are requesting?

    What are the dates of proposed filming?

    What is the size of the crew and potential impact?

    Department of Transportation View WA Roads

    Department of Transportation By Region:

    Northwest Region
    King, Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom, and Island Counties
    (South King County to Canadian border, Puget Sound to Cascades)
    Bonnie Nau
    (206) 440-4471

    North Central Region
    Chelan, Okanogan, Douglas, Grant and part of Adams counties
    Scott Cervine
    Phone: (509) 667-3077

    Olympic Region
    Clallam, Jefferson, Grays Harbor, Mason, Kitsap, Pierce, and Thurston counties
    Dawn Lindsey
    (360) 704-3227

    Southwest Region
    Pacific, Wahkiakum, Lewis, Cowlitz, Clark, Skamania, Klickitat, part of Yakima counties
    Gary Weiss
    (360) 905-2257

    South Central Region
    Kittitas, part of Yakima, Benton, Franklin, Walla Walla, Columbia, Garfield, Asotin, and part of I-90 in King counties
    Brad Cuillier
    (509) 577-1985

    Eastern Region
    Ferry, Stevens, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Lincoln, part of Adams, and Whitman counties
    Shannon Ayers
    (509) 324-6535

    Unemployment Insurance

    Washington State Employment Security
    Status Unit of the Unemployment
    Insurance Division, Olympia
    Contact: Brenda Westfall
    Phone: (360) 902-9373
    Fax: (360) 902-9264

    Production companies that hire local citizens to work solely in this state must report the local worker’s wages for unemployment insurance. Out-of-state employees, who are brought to Washington to work for a short period with the intent of returning to their original state of employment, are not reportable to this state. Their work is considered incidental to their work in the state of origin.

    Washington uses a 40-class tax rate schedule, which replaced the 20-class schedule and now includes social cost factors. Your tax rate is still based on your experience with unemployment. To determine your rate class in the new schedule, we divide the total cost of all unemployment benefits charged to you in the past four years by your total taxable payroll for that same period. The resulting percentage is your benefit ratio. This determines your rate class and your array calculation factor.

    For 2008 the taxable wage base is $34,000.
    For 2009 the taxable wage base is $35,700.

    Employment Administration Fund (EAF):
    New employers and those employers in rate class 40 pay .02%.
    Employers in rate classes 1-39 and any others pay .03%.

    For tax rate information, call:
    Experience Rating Unit of the Unemployment Insurance Tax Administration
    Phone: (360) 902-9670


    Status Unit of the Unemployment Insurance Division, Olympia
    Phone: (360) 902-9360

    NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) Code 5121: For Motion Picture and Video Production

    Washington State Ferries

    Tierra Russell, Business Operations Manager
    Phone: (206) 515-3828

    With advanced notice, filming and transportation of film crews on state ferries is permitted during regularly scheduled ferry runs. Allow four business days to process required property use agreements and film permits. Administrative and other fees may apply depending on the scope of your project. Washington State Ferries (WSF) is unable to alter ferry sailing schedules. Contact WSF at the number above for film permits on state ferries. A Quick Info for Filming and Photo Activities is available.

    You may look online (web site listed above) or call the WSF Information Center at (206) 464-6400 for the latest ferry schedules.

    Other Pacific Northwest Ferry Services

    Additional Ferry Services

    The above link offers a list of additional ferry systems throughout the state and the Pacific Northwest region.

    The film, television and commercial production industry traditionally consumes vast amounts of energy and unsustainable resources. There are numerous ways to reduce your production’s carbon footprint and any steps you can take, large or small, can make a difference.

    You want to produce green, but where do you start? There are many ways to lower a production’s carbon footprint by generating less waste and adopting environmentally sound and sustainable practices. In Honor of her Legacy - We titled these The Nikki Sherritt Environmental Best Practices for Green Production.

    Here are Ten Green Practices you can implement now:

    1. Shop Sustainably (Buy Environmentally friendly products, Forest Stewardship Council for lumber, no dry cleaning, buy organic, buy local products, buy in bulk and less packaging). Ask your HMU leads if they use clean beauty products and have re-fillable packaging.
    2. Reduce Plastic and Single Use Products (No plastic water bottles, pass out reusable bottles, have crew bring food containers from home, no plastic cutlery or Styrofoam)
    3. Reduce Paper Consumption (Digital Call Sheets, Schedules, Scripts, Digital Wrap Books, using apps to share revisions of all)
    4. Reduce Meat Consumption and bulk healthy items in Catering and Craft Service (More expensive, heavy carbon footprint)
    5. Recycle and Compost (Have clearly marked and comprehensive waste management systems in the office and on set)
    6. Donate, donate, donate (Wardrobe, Food, Props/local charities, schools, local theater, shelters)
    7. Reduce Fuel Consumption (Efficient Travel, Trucking, Use of Hybrid Vehicles)
    8. Use Renewable Power (Avoid gas generators, use electric generators)
    9. Reduce Power Consumption (LED Lighting, turning lights off in spaces not being used)
    10. Reuse Materials and Up-cycle (Buying previously recycled materials, used materials from Salvage yards, renting items instead of buying, donate)

    We collaborated with Seattle based producer, Nikki Sherritt as she was dedicated to Green Filmaking Greening our Film Industry Packet. This packet includes tips, tricks, and local resources for making your production green.

    If you would like a more in-depth comprehensive guide, be sure to check out this Green Guide provided by Seattle based producer Jill McBride. This document is educational and takes all the guesswork out of implementing green strategies.

    If you are interested in filming on military property or have questions related to that, please contact the following corresponding agency.

    U.S. Department of Defense
    Special Assistant For Entertainment Media
    The Pentagon, Room 2E592
    Washington, D.C. 20301-1409
    (703) 695-2936

    Philip Strub, Large Productions
    (703) 695-2936

    Terry Mitchell, Small Productions
    (703) 695-0169

    Air Force
    Director, Secretary of Air Force
    Office of Public Affairs-Entertainment Liaison
    10880 Wilshire Blvd., #1240
    Los Angeles, CA 90024-3602
    (310) 235-7511

    Chief, Office of Army Chief Public Affairs
    10880 Wilshire Blvd., #1250
    Los Angeles, CA 90024-3688
    (310) 235-7621

    Marine Corps
    Director, Marine Corps Public Affairs
    Motion Picture Television Liaison
    10880 Wilshire Blvd., #1230
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    (310) 235-7272

    Director, Navy Office of Information West
    10880 Wilshire Blvd., #1220
    Los Angeles, CA 90024-3691
    (310) 235-7481

    U.S. Department of Homeland Security

    Coast Guard, Motion Picture And TV Office
    10880 Wilshire Blvd., #1210
    Los Angeles, CA 90024-4113
    (310) 235-7817

    Seattle Office, Public Affairs
    (206) 220-7237

    To find information about filming in National Forests, determine which forest it is in, then contact the general line or ranger for general location information, then the Special Use or Public Affairs Officer for permission and permit information. Contact the permit administrator a minimum of 1 month prior to activity.

    Additionally, you can download:

    Region 6 Photography and Filming Guidelines

    Film and Photo Request Form

    USDA – Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Region 6
    Christy Covington, Special Use Permits
    (503) 808-2442

    Colville National Forest
    Karen Nooney, Special Use Permit Administrator
    (509) 684-7189

    Three Rivers Ranger District
    Rodney Smoldon, District Ranger
    (509) 738-7700

    Newport Ranger District
    Gayne Sears, District Ranger
    (509) 446-7500

    Republic Ranger District
    Robert Sanchez, District Ranger
    (509) 775-3305

    Sullivan Lake Ranger District
    Gayne Sears, District Ranger
    (509) 446-7500

    Gifford Pinchot National Forest
    Debbie Terrion, Special Use Coordinator
    (360) 891-5175

    Diana Perez, Public Affairs
    (360) 891-5222

    Mount Adams Ranger District
    Julie Ashe, Supervisory Forester
    (509) 395-3400

    Cowlitz Valley Ranger District
    Randle Ranger District

    Gar Abbas, District Ranger
    (360) 497-1105

    Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
    Sue Sherman-Biery, Special Use Permits
    (360) 854-2660

    Renee Bodine, Public affairs
    (425) 738-6015

    Darrington Ranger District
    Pete Forbes, District Ranger
    (360) 436-1155

    Mount Baker Ranger District
    erin Uloth, District Ranger
    (360) 856-5700

    Skykomish Ranger District
    Joe Neal, District Ranger
    (360) 677-2414

    Snoqualmie Ranger District
    Martie Schramm, District Ranger
    (425) 888-8751

    Okanogan – Wenatchee National Forest
    Kelly Underwood, Special Use Permits
    (509) 644-9200

    Roland Giller, Public Affairs
    (509) 664-9314

    Chelan Ranger District
    Kari Grover Wier, District Ranger
    (509) 682-4900

    Cle Elum Ranger District
    Judy Hallisey, District Ranger
    (509) 852-1100

    Entiat Ranger District
    Janet Flanagan, District Ranger
    (509) 784-4700

    Methow Valley Ranger District
    Mike Liu, District Ranger
    (509) 996-4003

    Naches Ranger District
    Irene Davidson, District Ranger
    (509) 653-1415

    Tonasket Ranger District
    Dale Olson, District Ranger
    (509) 486-2186

    Wenatchee River & Lake Wenatchee Ranger District
    Jeff Rivera, District Ranger
    (509) 548-2550

    Olympic National Forest
    Pete Erben, Special Use Permits
    (360) 288-0202

    Donna Nemus, Public Affairs

    Hood Canal Ranger District, Quilcene
    Dean Yoshina, District Ranger
    (360) 765-2201

    Pacific Ranger District – Quinault Office
    Dean Millett
    (360) 374-1222

    Pacific Ranger District – Forks Office
    Dean Millett
    (360) 374-1222

    Umatilla National Forest
    Jeff Bloom, Special Use Permits
    (509) 522-6277

    Joani Bosworth, Public Affairs
    (541) 278-3722

    Pomeroy Ranger District
    Monte Fujishin, District Ranger
    (509) 843-1891

    Walla Walla Ranger District
    Mike Rassbach, District Ranger
    (509) 522-6290

    National Parks
    Each National Park has a customized application form. Click on the link above and search for a particular park, click on Fees and Reservations, click on Permits or Special Use Permits.

    Contact information for each park is listed below:

    Ebey’s Landing National Historical Reserve
    Carol L. Castellano,
    Office Administrator
    (360) 678-6084

    Fort Vancouver National Historic Site
    Greg Shine, Chief Ranger
    (360) 816-6205

    Tracy Formann, Superintendent
    (360) 816-6252

    Klondike Gold Rush Museum
    Jacqueline Ashwell, Superintendent
    (206) 220-4240

    Mount Rainier National Park
    Matthew Chalup , Special Use Permit Coordinator
    (360) 569-6623

    North Cascades National Park
    Tammra Sterling, Special Permits
    (360) 854-7213

    Olympic National Park
    Cheryl Higbee, Program Fee Supervisor
    (360) 565-3092

    San Juan Island National Historical Park
    Rob Palmer, Chief Park Ranger
    (360) 378-2240

    National Recreation Areas

    Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area
    There are two agencies that must be contacted in the early stages:

    Mount Hood National Forest
    Mary-Ellen Fitzgerald, Special Use Permits
    (503) 668-1429

    Columbia River Gorge Commission
    Darren Nichols, Executive Director
    (509) 493-3323 Ext. 224

    Fort George Wright
    Joe Alleman, Director of Administration
    (509) 325-6540

    Lake Chelan National Recreation Area
    Annelise Lesmeister, Concession Specialist
    (509) 682-4900

    Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area
    Dan Foster, Superintendent
    (509) 753-7809

    Mount Saint Helens National Volcanic Monument

    Ross Lake National Recreation Area
    North Cascades National Park
    Tammra Sterling, Concessions Management Assistant
    (360) 854-7213

    Whitman Mission National Historic Site
    Renee Rusler, Park Ranger
    (509) 522-6360

    Safety should ALWAYS be the number one priority on set. The following set safety resources from our union partners are available for everyone to use on both union and non union sets:

    IATSE Safety Hotline: (844) 422-9273

    IATSE Safety Info App: Apple // Android

    ICG Safety App

    ICG 600 Safety Information Center

    Washington State Parks offers more than 100 beautiful parks with a variety of natural settings, architectural structures and historic sites, including seven military forts. You can explore different park features here.

    Commercial Filming

    A permit is required for commercial filming. For adequate processing time, permit applications must be submitted at least 60 days in advance of the proposed activity to allow for staff review, agency coordination and to comply with State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) review requirements. This 60-day application filing requirement may be waived in extenuating circumstances.

    The commercial filming permit application fee is $100. A bond or insurance binder is required for all activities. Additional fees may be assessed for activities that have the potential for affecting the park, public and environment based on agency staff review.

    Educational Filming and Photography

    Washington State Parks encourages the use of parks for film and photo students. Non-commercial, educational endeavors often can be permitted without a fee. Site impacts and school’s proof of insurance may still apply.

    Use of Drones

    Drones are considered remote-controlled aircraft. Use of drones in state parks, whether for filming or other use, may be allowed in some state parks only by permission of the agency director. Regulations about the use of remote-controlled aircraft state parks are spelled out in WAC 352-32-130(4) and (5) and WAC 352.37.170 (3).

    How to Apply for a Film Permit

    Speak to the park or parks where the activity will occur prior to submitting an application or proof of insurance using the Contact List.

    Complete the Film Permit Application (PDF) and submit it directly to the appropriate park using the Contact List. More details are available on the film permit instructions (PDF).

    The application fee for Commercial Film/Still Photography is $100.
    Additional fees may be assessed for activities that have the potential to affect the park, public and environment based on agency staff review.
    See attached fee schedule (PDF).

    For adequate processing time, applications must be submitted at least 60 days in advance of the proposed activity. Allowing for staff review, agency coordination and SEPA review requirements. This may be waived in extenuating circumstances.

    Submit a certificate of liability insurance with Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission listed as the additional certificate holder to:

    • Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
    • PO Box 42650
    • Olympia WA 98504-2650

    If you have further questions, please contact the geographically appropriate region office listed below.

    Eastern Region Office (509) 665-4319
    Northwest Region Office (360) 755-9231
    Southwest Region Office (360) 725-9770
    State Parks Headquarters (360) 902-8844

    Emergency Vehicle Operating Track
    Shelton, WA

    Facilities Sergeant
    (360) 432-7500

    The drive course is available for rent to commercial film companies. One officer is required to be in attendance during any rental period. That officer’s salary is reimbursed at time and a half based on the actual numbers of hours in attendance. Hours for pre-filming site visits/scouting are M-F, 8 am to 5 pm. Hours for actual filming can be negotiated.
    The driver-training course is 2.7 miles in length. The course is divided into four distinct training areas: a 1.1 mile emergency course, 1.6 mile pursuit course, vehicle placement course, and skid pad. The entire drive course is fenced and free from public interference. The course is bordered by forest – mostly evergreens and various types of foliage.

    Emergency Course

    1.1 miles in length. This portion of the course is utilized to train basic lane changes, curve negotiation, decision-making exercises, controlled braking, and off-road recovery.

    It contains a four-lane straight, four-lane 60 MPH curve, two-lane 35 MPH curve, two-lane 55 MPH S-curve, double left turn lane, and freeway ramps. The off-road recovery area is a 4-inch curb and is 400 feet in length.

    Pursuit Course

    1.6 miles in length. The upper pursuit course has a four-lane section and various types of curves and changes in elevation. The curves are increasing and decreasing radius curves and have reverse super-elevations. This course is designed to challenge both beginning and experienced drivers.

    Vehicle Placement Course

    The vehicle placement course is utilized to allow officers to operate a vehicle in close proximity to fixed objects. It is 950 feet by 100 feet and is divided into three blocks. It also contains a 150-foot by 150-foot pad. A motorcycle recovery area is also located in the vehicle placement area and is 150 feet by 50 feet.

    Skid Pad

    The skid pad is 400 feet by 80 feet. It is an asphalt surface coated with a cold tar mixture, then covered with a layer of water. There is 200-foot recovery area at the end of the pad and a 1000-foot approach to the pad. The entire training area is 800 feet by 175 feet.

    Permits & Regulations: Truck Permits

    There are four types of permits that may be issued when vehicles are temporarily being used in Washington:

    3-Day Vehicle Trip Permits allow an unlicensed vehicle to be operated for three consecutive days at the maximum legal weight limit for that vehicle. The law allows for the purchase and use of a maximum of three permits in any continuous 30-day period. These may be obtained through the Department of Licensing, any of their agents (county auditor offices) or sub-agents, or the Department of Transportation. 3-day trip permits for recreational vehicles are restricted to two permits per year.

    “Non-resident” 30-60-90 Day Permits are for use only with commercial vehicles that are currently licensed in a Canadian Province or another state and will be operated in Washington for less than one year. These may be obtained through the Department of Licensing, any of their agents (county auditor offices) or sub-agents.

    Special Fuel Trip Permits are for vehicles that are powered by a fuel other than gasoline. When a special fuel user is operating a foreign-plated vehicle in Washington, they must display a Special Fuel User License or purchase the Special Fuel Permit. These may be obtained through the Department of Licensing, any of their agents (county auditor offices) or sub-agents, or the Department of Transportation.

    Oversize Vehicle Permits are for vehicles whose size is over specific length, height, width, or weight limits. These may be obtained through the Department of Transportation or any of their agents.

    Fees vary, depending on the type of permit. Please contact one of the following for pricing and purchase information.

    3-Day Vehicle Trip Permits / 30, 60, 90 Day Permits / Special Fuel Trip Permits:
    Department of Licensing
    Customer Service Unit, (360) 902-3770, option 5

    Oversize Vehicle Permits:
    Justin Heryford
    (360) 705-7987

    Trip / Fuel Permits:
    Comdata Permit
    (800) 749-6058

    *Before a vehicle leaves a home state, contact that home state’s vehicle licensing agency and request an International Registration Plan (IRP). This plan gives authorization to travel to other states and is good for one year.

    *Vehicles exceeding 26,000 pounds gross weight and are diesel powered require a special fuel trip permit.

    Fee schedule varies. Contact the Department of Transportation for summary of fees.

    Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists

    Davis R. Powell, Executive Director
    (206) 282-2506

    Christopher Comte, Senior Business Representative
    (206) 282-2506

    SAG-AFTRA Online Production Center :

    I.A.T.S.E. LOCAL #488
    Studio Mechanics of The Pacific Northwest, International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists & Allied Crafts

    Melissa Purcell, Business Agent, Northern Region, (WA, MT, Northern ID)

    Sierra Bay Robinson, Business Agent, Southern Region, (OR, MT)


    For a copy of the Northwest IA Local 488 and Vancouver IA Local 891 Reciprocal Agreement, call (206) 251-8002.

    I.A.T.S.E. LOCAL #600
    International Cinematographers Guild

    Xiomara Comrie, Western Region Rep
    (323) 969-2711

    Paul Mailman, Steward for the Pacific Northwest
    (206) 399-1987

    Musician’s Association of Seattle, Local #76

    Motter Snell, President
    (206) 441-7600
    Local 76_493

    Teamsters Local #174

    Patty Warren, Senior Business Agent


    Teamsters Local #760
    Covers Tri-Cities to Canadian Border

    Leonard Crouch, Secretary/ Treasurer
    In Wenatchee: (509) 667-7760
    In Moses Lake: (509) 765-7460

    Department of Labor & Industries
    Employment Standards Program

    Phone: 360-902-5316
    Fax: 360-902-5300
    Toll-free: 866-219-7321

    Before hiring minors for any type of project you must:

    - Have a Washington State Business License with a minor work permit endorsement. Apply with the Department of Revenue (DOR) for a minor work permit here.

    If you need to apply for a Washington State business license, go here.
    *When registering to do business in the State of Washington you may be subject to Business & Occupation (B&O) Tax. Consult the DOR or your payroll services company for details.

    - Get a completed parent/school or summer authorization form. Before a minor can begin working, you must get their parent or legal guardian and their school (when in session) to complete the appropriate authorization form found on this page.

    - Verify the minor's age. You must keep a copy of one of the following on file:

    • Birth certificate and Social Security card.
    • Driver’s license.
    • Baptismal record.
    • Notarized statement from the parent or legal guardian.

    - Apply for a theatrical variance, if needed. A theatrical variance allows minors employed as actors or performers in film, video, audio, or theatrical productions to temporarily work additional hours. This variance can include duties that are normally prohibited for minors. Theatrical variances are
    considered on a case-by-case basis. More information can be found here.

    A variance is needed if:

    • The minor is under age 14 (NOTE: You do not need permission from a superior court for youth under 14 to work in theatrical jobs.)
    • The minor will be working during school hours.
    • The minor will be working additional hours beyond the limits allowed for those under age 18.
    • Under some circumstances if prohibited work activities are involved.

    SAG-AFTRA & IATSE 884 information can be found here.