Washington Filmworks uses our Location of the Month newsletters to showcase the diversity of unique looks and resources for production in a number of jurisdictions around Washington State. Find previous installments archived on our website and on the WF Blog.
Town of Metaline Falls – July 2016
The peaceful town of Metaline Falls sits on the high banks of the Pend Oreille River in the most northeast corner of Washington State. It boasts a small community of 224 where neighbors come together to help one another. Buildings range from original structures of the early 1900’s to updated modern styles. Surrounded by rural farms, State Parks, National Forests, numerous lakes and streams, outdoor activities and experiences are abundant. There are plenty of opportunities for hiking, fishing, hunting, horseback riding, mountain biking, climbing, snowshoeing, off road vehicles and the solitude of camping in the backcountry. The Pend Oreille River itself is a wide and smooth-flowing waterway that still provides areas of rapids. From the vantage of a county road, the vista looking down onto Metaline Falls and the Pend Oreille River is amazing!
Metaline Falls Weather
Metaline Falls has warm comfortable summers, beautiful springs, breathtaking fall foliage and mild winters.
- January – High 30.0 F, Low 17.0 F
- July – High 84.0 F, Low 49.0 F
- January Rainfall – 3.02 inches
- July Rainfall – 1.15 inches
Sources: Western Regional Climate Center
Projects Filmed in Metaline Falls
Kevin Costner’s The Postman was filmed in the area in 1997. The sites included the downtown area being totally re-fronted, several buildings created and later burned, the entire town “distressed” and The Cutter Theatre used both as a location and the headquarters for the film company.
Key Locations of Interest
- Cutter Theatre, (historic building)
- Gardner Caves
- NuVu Theatre
- Old Cement Silos
- Pend Oreille Apartments (art deco facade structure)
- Pend Orielle River
- Washington Hotel, (historic building)
Distance to Closest Large Airport
Spokane International Airport is approximately 103 miles from Metaline Falls.
Closest Large Cities Adjacent
Spokane is approximately 95 miles from Metaline Falls.
Relevant Contact Names & Information
- Local Film Liaison – Mayor Tara Leininger, Town of Metaline Falls, (509) 446-2211, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agency that issues permits and costs – Mayor Tara Leininger, Town of Metaline Falls, (509) 446-2211, email@example.com
- County Permits – Pend Oreille County: The County Commissioner’s Office, (509) 447-4119
- Police or Sheriff’s Department or agency that handles traffic control – Pend Oreille County Sheriff’s Office, (509) 447-3151
A full list of accommodations can be found here:
There are a number of Bed & Breakfasts available in the area.
1411 Fourth Ave., Suite 420